Every year, I try to support a few charities, causes, and other nonprofits. Usually, this means figuratively writing a few checks for relatively small amounts of money. I do what I can and am happy to do so.
My wife and I recently settled on the 501(c)(3) organizations we are supporting this year with cash. My company (21st Century Fox) is double-matching employee donations through 2018, so our dollars actually will have a triple effect.
These are some organizations, charities, cultural institutions, and other entities I have supported in recent years via donations, fundraising, admission fees, memberships, volunteering, promotion, and retail shopping.
(Note: I didn’t support all of them this year and I may have forgotten some museums and other cultural institutions I visited.)
If you choose to give, I encourage you to do some due diligence and give to causes you truly believe in, demonstrate a track record of success, and have good financial practices. Charity Navigator is a useful resource for rating nonprofits.
What are your favorite nonprofits?
- ACHILLES INTERNATIONAL
- AMERICAN TRAIL RUNNING ASSOCIATION
- ASTORIA PARK ALLIANCE
- BEAU BIDEN FOUNDATION FOR THE PROTECTION OF CHILDREN
- BOWERY MISSION
- CITY HARVEST
- COAST GUARD AUXILIARY / COAST GUARD AUXILIARY ASSOCIATION
- COAST GUARD FOUNDATION
- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY COLUMBIA COLLEGE
- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY GRADUATE SCHOOL OF JOURNALISM
- COMMITTEE TO PROTECT JOURNALISTS
- EVERY MOTHER COUNTS
- FOOD BANK FOR NEW YORK CITY
- FRIENDS OF GOVERNORS ISLAND
- GIRLS INC.
- GIRLS LEADERSHIP
- HELLGATE ROAD RUNNERS
- LT MICHAEL P. MURPHY NAVY SEAL MUSEUM
- METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART
- NATIONAL ALLIANCE ON MENTAL ILLNESS
- NATIONAL PARK FOUNDATION
- NATIONAL SEPTEMBER 11 MEMORIAL AND MUSEUM
- NEW YORK BOTANICAL GARDEN
- NEW YORK CARES
- NEW YORK ROAD RUNNERS
- NEW YORK STATE PARKS
- PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF NEW YORK CITY
- SAVE THE CHILDREN
- UNICEF USA
- USA TRACK AND FIELD
- WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION
- WILDLIFE CONSERVATION SOCIETY